Vestibular rehabilitation is a specialized physiotherapy treatment program that is individualized for each client. Vestibular rehabilitation is an exercise-based approach to relieve the symptoms and discomfort of vestibular disorders. These symptoms can include: Dizziness, Vertigo, Balance problems, Motion sensitivity (where quick movements of the head provoke dizziness), and problems with gaze stability (where there is blurring of vision with head movements).
A thorough assessment is performed focused on functioning in 3 areas:
- Eye and head coordination
- Balance and gait
- Motion sensitivity
Following the initial assessment, treatment may include:
- Balance retraining exercises
- Specific vestibular exercises (adaptation and habituation exercises)
- Supervised therapy session to monitor progress and continually challenge the vestibular, visual and balance systems
- Repositioning maneuvers for Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
Please note that although no referral is required, it is recommended that you are assessed by your physician prior to commencing a vestibular rehabilitation program.